University College Cork, Ireland, B. Engineering with honors 1967 University College Cork, Ireland M.D. with honors 1973
Saint Finbarrs Hospital, General Surgery, Cork, Ireland 1973-74 The Johns Hopkins Hospital 1977-81 (Chief Resident – Adult Urology, 1980; Chief Resident – Pediatric Urology, 1981)
Dr. Murphy received his B. Engineering (Electrical) and his M.D. with honors from University College, Cork, Ireland. He completed postgraduate training in general surgery in Cork, Ireland and a residency in urology at the Johns Hopkins Hospital. He completed a fellowship in Spinal Cord Injury at the V.A. Medical Center in Milwaukee and was an Instructor at the Medical College of Wisconsin. In practice since 1983, Dr. Murphy has been named a Top Doctor by Baltimore Magazine’s Guide to Top Doctors 1999. He is certified by the American Board of Urology and a Fellow, Royal College of Surgeons. Dr. Murphy was one of the first Baltimore area urologists to use the TUNA procedure for BPH. His interests include BPH, prostate cancer and kidney stone disease.
• The Johns Hopkins University 1977-81
• The Johns Hopkins Hospital, National Institute of Health Grant; Programmatical Studies of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia 1978-79
• Zablovic Veterans Administration Medical Center, Spinal Cord Injury Unit, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 1981-83
• Instructor,Department of Urology, The Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 1981-83
• Genitourinary problems in the elderly. In Contemporary Geriatrics Medicine. J.B. Murphy and S.C. Jacobs. Editor: Steven Gambert. Plenum Publ. Co., New York. 1983.
• A retrograde method for percutaneous access to kidney. Lawson, R.K., Murphy, J.B., Taylor, A.J., and Jacobs, S.C.: Urology 1983.
• A touch sensitive appliance control for the physically handicapped. Vasudevan, S., Lynch, N.T., Donnell, R.B., and Murphy, J.B.: Physical Therapy – American Physical Therapy Journal 1983.
• Urinary incontinence in the elderly. Murphy, J.B. and Duthie, E.: Wisc. Med. J.. 1983.
• Urologic research. Murphy, J.B.: Paraplegia News. 1981.
• A comparison of ultrasonography and radiography in the localization of renal calculi. Marshall, F.F., Murphy, J.B., Smith, N., Menon, M., and Sanders, R.C.: J. Urol. 1981.
• Unsuspected intraperitoneal perforatino of the urinary bladder as an iatrogenic disorder. Spees, E.K., O’Mara, C., Murphy, J.B., Michigan, S., and Newton, C. Surgery. 1981.
• Estrogen receptors in the human prostate, seminal vesicle, epididymis, testis, and genital skin: A marker for estrogen-responsive tissues? Murphy, J.B., Emmott, R.C., Hicks, L.L., and Walsh, P.C.: Journal of Clinical
Endocrinology and Metabolism. 1980.
• Renal cyst versus tumor: A continuing dilemma. Murphy, J.B. and Marshall, F.F.: J. Urol. 1980.
• A new method: Nonfistulous access to hollow viscera. Kirwan, W.O., Murphy, J.B., and Brady, M.P.: Journal of Surgical Research. 1977.
• The strength of the menisci of the knee as it related to their fine structure. Bullough, P.G., Manuera, L., Murphy, J.B., and Weinstein, A.M.: Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 1970.
• Nonfistulous access to hollow viscera: A new method. Surgical Research Society. 1986.
• Misdiagnosis of ectopic ureterocele. American Urological Association, MidAtlantic Section. 1978.
• The forgotten ectopic ureterocele. Society of Pediatric Urology, 1979.
• Estrogen receptors in human benign prostatic hyperplasia. American Urological Association. 1979.
• Renal cyst versus tumor: A continuing dilemma. American Urological Association. 1979.
• Use of intraoperative ultrasound in the localization of renal calculi. American Urological Association, Mid-Atlantic Section. 1979.
• A comparison of ultrasonography and radiography in the localization of renal calculi. American Urological Association. 1980.
• Surgical management of ureteral injuries. Wisconsin Surgical Society. 1981.
• CCDP/Bladder hyperthermia fortransitional cell carcinoma. American Urological Association. 1982.
• Percutaneous nephrostomy drainage in malignant disease. Central Surgical Association. 1983.
• Computer assisted urodynamics: American Urological Association. 1983.
• A home biofeedback unit in the managment of children with voiding disorders. American Urological Association. 1983.
• Retrograde percutaneous renal access. Wisconsin Urological Society. 1983.
• Use of home biofeedback in pediatric voiding disorders. Wisconsin Urological Society. 1983.